Make a homemade Blue Curacao:
Curacao Liquor is a grain-based sweet spirit made with orange peel and sugar. Blue Curacao is just like a typical Curacao liqueur but colored blue with the main function to...decorate a cocktail.
Although store-bought Blue Curacao is convenient, it is usually made with artificial food coloring. In this recipe, we replaced blue food coloring and used natural Butterfly Pea Flower to dye the liquor a vibrant violet. This magical ingredient will add a fun color effect to your blue curacao.
Homemade Blue Curacao
Yields about 4.5 quarts
- Zest of 12 Navel Oranges
- 2oz. Bitter Orange Peel
- 1 Liter of Gin
- 1 Liter of Vodka
- 2 cups of Butterfly Pea Flower
- 6 cups of water
- 8 cups of sugar
- First, zest oranges into a large container. Add Bitter Orange Peel, Vodka, and Gin, and Butterfly Pea Flower
- Let infuse for 5-10 days (does not need to be refrigerated.) Stir at least once a day.
- Strain through a filter. Add water and sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Store in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to one year.
Not sure if you've got the time to make your own Blue Curacao? Don't worry, there are other options available to purchase in-store or online. But we highly recommend making your own!
Now that you've got your Blue Curacao, whip up with Blue Christmas made with our seasonal Meyer Lemon Balm!
Blue Christmas Cocktail
- 1.5oz. Gin
- 1.5oz. Blue Curacao
- 1oz. Iconic Meyer Lemon Balm
- 1/2oz. Lemon Juice
- 2-3 dashes of Orange bitters
-Combine all in a shaker and shake with ice
-Strain into a chilled coup.
A batched Negroni to end a Bittersweet year
You might have caught this blog post where we bragged about making a batched cocktail every year for our friends and family. In a true 2020 fashion, Matt and I were unable to make anything for friends because #covid. Maybe our friends will get a January cocktail instead. If your year was anything like ours, you need a batch of Negronis to lift your spirits.
Makes 18 4oz cocktails
- 3 cups Gin
- 1 ½ cup Orange Blossom Tonic
- 1 ½ cup campari
- 3 cups sweet vermouth
-Combine all ingredients in a mixing vessel that will hold 9 cups of liquid (or take it in rounds)
-Pour 4oz of cocktail into each mason jar
-Serve with a super cube with a few stirs to dilute. Garnish with an orange twist